Anna Wintour knows what it takes to be successful in the competitive world of fashion. After working her way up through positions at Home & Garden and Harper’s Bazaar, she eventually landed her dream job as the Editor-in-chief of Vogue Magazine – a post she’s held for the last 26 years.
In 2013, she became the Artistic Director of Conde Nast, the publisher of Vogue. Yet another accolade in an already storied career.
With an estimated net worth of 35 million, it can’t be argued that Anna Wintour knows as much about fashion as she does about success. Below, we collect the very best Anna Wintour quotes that highlight how to be successful in love, life, style and fashion:
1) “What people hate the most is indecision. Even if I’m completely unsure, I’ll pretend I know exactly what I’m talking about and make a decision.”
HereBe firm in your decision making – no one likes a flip flopper.
2) “I recommend that you all get fired; it’s a great learning experience.”
Sometimes the greatest lessons we learn come out of these seemingly terrible experiences. In this case, Anna was fired because she wanted to make a bold statement that would help seperate her from her predecessors. Instead, it was deemed too racy and put her on the fast track to being fired. This teaches us a great lesson: always be true to yourself.
3) “People respond well to those that are sure of what they want.”
This is similar to the above quote in that it reminds us to be confident in our decision making. People naturally follow those who are sure of their beliefs.
73 Questions With Anna Wintour
4) “I surround myself with a talented group of people that are opinionated and interesting. I try to remain very open to what others have to say.”
As difficult as it is, it’s essential to seek out and assemble a strong team of collaborators. Then, listen to what they have to say.
5) “It’s all about timing. If it’s too soon, no one understands. If it’s too late, everyone’s forgotten.”
Timing is everything. This is something we’ve heard before, but it’s always so accurate.
6) “Fashion goes in only one direction – forward – and I am a firm believer in thinking that way too.”
Focus on the future. Looking back will hold you back, so always concentrate on what’s ahead.
Do you have any inspiring Anna Wintour quotes we may have missed? Let us know in the comments.
header image via: David Shankbone