Although Maria Mitchell may not have the same level of name recognition as other famous Astronomers, her quotes are no less profound.
Not only was she the first Professor of Astronomy at the famed Vasser College, but also the first woman to work professionally as an Astronomer. Aside from these two facts, the history books are fairly thin on some of her other achievements. Thankfully, we have many
Aside from these two facts, the history books are fairly thin on some of her other achievements. Thankfully, we have many powerful and useful quotes of hers that we can apply to our own lives.
Here we examine some of the most inspiring quotes by Maria Mitchell.
Maria Mitchell: 10 Inspiring Astronomy Quotes For Strong Women
1) “There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness.”
Our interpretation: The most beautiful thing you can wear each day is a smile and an upbeat personality.
2) We travel to learn; and I have never been in any country where they did not do something better than we do it, think some thoughts better than we think, catch some inspiration from heights above our own.
Our interpretation: Travel the world and you will realize how much more there is out there just waiting for you.
3) “Question everything.”
Our interpretation: Be inquistive in all things. Seek the answer(s) for everything.
4) “As a general rule, people disappoint you as you know them.”
Our interpretation: Those we love are human and will inevitably disappoint.
5) “We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing.”
Our interpretation: The more we learn the more we grow.
6) “Do not look at stars as bright spots only. Try to take in the vastness of the universe.”
Our interpretation: The universe is a great metaphor for life itself: take the good with the bad and recognize it’s all beautiful.
7) “People have to learn sometimes not only how much the heart, but how much the head, can bear.”
Our interpretation: We’re all capable of comprehending much more than we usually give ourselves credit for.
8) “Study as if you were going to live forever; live as if you were going to die tomorrow.”
Our interpretation: Take on any subject no matter how daunting it may seem, and live life to the fullest.
9) “That knowledge which is popular is not scientific.”
Our interpretation: Don’t believe everything you read. Popular opinions may be more biased than we think.
10) “The greatest object in educating is to give a right habit of study.”
Our interpretation: Success and achievement have a lot to do with developing good habits.
Have any inspiring quotes from another female astronomer we may have missed? Let us know in the comments.
image via: wikimedia commons