There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
The ultimate collection of food quotes celebrating the art of dining, cooking and eating.
There’s nothing quite like sitting around with friends having great conversations over a delicious meal. Add some wine or craft beer (cause we’re fancy like that) and now you’re really cooking with gas.
Great meals have a way of bringing family and friends together in a way that is truly special. And these 30 food quotes are about celebrating that fact.
They are about the joy of cooking, the fun we have eating together, and there’s a few funny diet quotes thrown in there as well. This list is packed with inspiring quotes about the types of meals that feed the soul as much as they feed the body.
So grab some friends, some ingredients, maybe even some wine, and enjoy the 30 greatest food quotes of all time.
Quotes About Food
On the love of life and love of food:
1. “People who love to eat are always the best people.” – Julia Child (Julia’s classic The Joy of Cooking can be found here)
Our thought: This has to be our favourite quote, which will probably give you a sense of theme for this article. We believe this to be absolutely true. Our best friends are those who love food as much as we do.
2. My mom, who’s been in the restaurant business for 40 years, is the number-one influence in my life. But I look up to a lot of people in the industry. Tops on my list is Mario Batali. My mom and Mario taught me the same lesson: Food is love. – Rachael Ray (Rachel’s new cookbook can be found here)
Our thought: There’s nothing quite like big, family style dinners filled with good wine and conversation.
3. From an early age I understood that cooking was never going to be a job, it’s a passion. – Gordon Ramsay (Gordon’s new cookbook can be found here)
Our thought: No matter where you are in the world, the common experience that brings us together is food.
4. “One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.” – Luciano Pavarotti
Our thought: It’s nice to stop and enjoy ourselves for parts of the day over food.
On eating well:
5. “We all eat, and it would be a sad waste of opportunity to eat badly.” – Anna Thomas
Our thought: This is especially true in our world of processed and fast foods.
6. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” – Virginia Woolf
Our thought: You do not want to see us when we’re hungry.
7. “I’ve long believed that good food, good eating, is all about risk. Whether we’re talking about unpasteurized Stilton, raw oysters or working for organized crime ‘associates’, food, for me, has always been an adventure” – Anthony Bourdain (Anthony’s classic memoir Kitchen Confidential can be found here)
Our thought: This one’s for my brother-in-law. Would it kill you to take a risk and try new things? JK, JK.
8. “Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” – Harriet Van Horne
Our thought: Beautiful. Pay attention boys.
9. “Love is an ice cream sundae, with all the marvellous coverings. Sex is the cherry on top.” – Jimmy Dean
Our thought: The perfect end to a perfect treat.
10. Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want. – Gael Greene
Our thought: We really do have an addiction. We’re not telling which one.
11. “Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.” – Sophia Loren
Our thought: We need to eat more spaghetti.
12. “I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W.C. Fields
Our thought: Wine and food just go together so well.
13. “Cheese – milk’s leap towards immortality.” – Clifton Fadiman
Our thought: Well it does usually last longer.
14. “I like rice. Rice is great if you’re hungry and want two thousand of something.” – Mitch Hedberg
Our thought: Thousands of little flavor absorbers.
15. “A party without cake is just a meeting.” – Julia Child
Our thought: A sad meeting. (Julia’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking can be found here)
16. “Waffles are like pancakes with syrup traps” – Mitch Hedberg
Our thought: Tasty syrup traps.
17. “You know how I feel about tacos. It’s the only food shaped like a smile. A beef smile.” – Earl Hickey
Our thought: It’s the happy food.
18. “What I say is that, if a fellow really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.” – A.A. Milne
Our thought: Growing up in an Irish-Canadian household, I can fully agree with this quote. Or: insert “I like my men like I like my ___” joke.
19. “After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relatives.” – Oscar Wilde
Our thought: Everyone is more amicable when properly fed.
On the joys of cooking:
20. “People want honest, flavourful food, not some show-off meal that takes days to prepare.” – Ted Allen
Our thought: Don’t be a try hard. We can get behind that.
On a good cook
21. “A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.” – Elsa Schiaparelli
Our thought: Sounds sexy, doesn’t it?
22. “Don’t touch my d**k, don’t touch my knife.” – Anthony Bourdain (Anthony’s classic memoir “kitchen confidential” can be found here)
Our thought: Cooking tools are very essential to the trade, as essential as body parts.
23. “The way you make an omelette reveals your character.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Our thought: Especially if it’s the morning after, if you know what we mean.
On healthy eating and vegetarians:
24. “Life is too short for self-hatred and celery sticks.” – Marilyn Wann
Our thought: We never liked celery sticks either.
25. “Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. “ – Doug Larson
Our thought: He makes a very good point. Not a lot of things smell better than bacon.
26. “Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans … are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Our thought: Well, although we may not entirely agree, we thought this quote was hilarious. And we do enjoy our meat.
27. “I’ll bet what motivated the British to colonize so much of the world is that they were just looking for a decent meal.” – Martha Harrison
Our thought: I don’t even think the British are offended by this. But our sources tell us it’s steadily improving.
And finally, on eating too much:
28. “I am not a glutton. I am an explorer of food.” – Erma Bombeck
Our thought: From now on that’s how we’re justifying ourselves.
29. “My weaknesses have always been food and men – in that order.” – Dolly Parton
Our thought: That’s probably the better order of those two things.
30. “The meal is not over when I’m full. The meal is over when I hate myself” – Louis C.K.
Our thought: Sometimes we need to exercise a little more restraint. Pull it back a little.
6 Things To Avoid In Your Smoothie Recipes To Lose Weight
Fitness Quotes: 6 Essential Tips For 6 Pack Abs
Drake Quotes: The 28 Best Lines & Lyrics On Life, Love and Success
Hard Work Quotes: 40 Sayings To Strengthen Your Work Ethic
Short Life Quotes: 30 Sayings To Get You Motivated
17 Quick & Easy Chicken Breast Recipes You Have To Try
Did we miss any other quotes about food, cooking, or healthy eating that you love or find hilarious?
Let us know in the comments.
images via: rpavich, Anderson Mancini, Olaf Simons, isante_magazine