I feel the older I get, the more I’m learning to handle life. Being on this quest for a long time, it’s all about finding yourself.
Ringo Starr was never the creative leader of the Beatles, like Paul McCartney and John Lennon, nor was he a big influence on their sound like George Harrison. What he was, however, was a very good drummer. And for arguably the biggest band in the world, that was enough.
Today, Harrison is not only the most famous drummer in the world, he’s also the richest with a net worth estimated at 300 million.
Here we have collected some of his best quotes in and out of the studio.
1. The Beatles were just four guys that loved each other. That’s all they’ll ever be.
2. In the band I was in, we knew when we’d done the take, because it just feels good. It’s like golf. When you hit that ball right, you know. You feel it – you feel the connection. And connecting is good.
3. Of course I’m ambitious. What’s wrong with that? Otherwise you sleep all day.
4. The Beatles were just four guys that loved each other. That’s all they’ll ever be.
5. America: It’s like Britain, only with buttons. – Ringo Starr
6. I was the new boy. It was like joining a new class at school where everybody knows everybody else but me.– Ringo Starr
7. I like Beethoven, especially the poems.– Ringo Starr
8. I’d like to end up sort of… unforgettable.– Ringo Starr
9. You got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues…And you know it don’t come easy. – Ringo Starr
10. I don’t mind talking or smiling, it’s just I don’t do it very much. I haven’t got a smiling face or a talking mouth. – Ringo Starr
11. I think the most exciting thing is that you expect people our age to know the music, but actually a lot of kids know the music, and if anything is left, we have left really good music. And that`s the important part, not the mop-tops or whatever. – Ringo Starr
12. Do you remember when everyone began analyzing Beatles songs, I don’t think I ever understood what some of them were supposed to be about. – Ringo Starr
13. I couldn’t put my finger on one reason why we broke up. It was time, and we were spreading out. They were spreading out more than I was. I would’ve stayed with the band. – Ringo Starr
14. I was the new boy. It was like joining a new class at school where everybody knows everybody else but me. – Ringo Starr
15. Everything government touches turns to crap. – Ringo Starr
16. So this is America. They must be out of their minds. – Ringo Starr
17. Last night I had a peace dream. – Ringo Starr
18. I had no schooling before I joined The Beatles and no schooling after The Beatles. Life is a great education. – Ringo Starr
19. I do get emotional when I think back about those times. My make-up is emotional. I’m an emotional human being. I’m very sensitive and it took me till I was forty-eight to realize that was the problem! – Ringo Starr
20. We were honest with each other and we were honest about the music. The music was positive. It was positive in love. They did write – we all wrote – about other things, but the basic Beatles message was Love. – Ringo Starr
21. I never studied anything, really. I didn’t study the drums. I joined bands and made all the mistakes onstage. – Ringo Starr
22. I’ve never really done anything to create what has happened. It creates itself. I’m here because it happened. But I didn’t do anything to make it happen apart from saying ‘Yes. – Ringo Starr
23. People only look at me as a Beatle, but my friends look at me as a whole person. That’s how life works, but it’s not bugging me anymore. – Ringo Starr
24. I like kids; I used to be one. – Ringo Starr
25. But the feel I have—many of you have asked me about my feel—that just comes from God. I truly believe that my heartbeat keeps the tempo, because I naturally have great time, as you all noticed, and that’s not blowing my own horn. I just have great time, and that’s the rhythm of my heart and my soul. – Ringo Starr