Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years. – Ausonius
Isn’t that one of the most inspiring Birthday Quotes ever? Doesn’t it also bring back fond memories?
Remember that feeling you got as a kid the day before your birthday; counting down the hours until finally, your big day came. Everyone was nice to you, they gave you presents with hand written greetings, left you thoughtful messages; and if you were lucky, you got to decide where to have your birthday party (lazer tag!). The spotlight was on just you for a full 24 hours, and it was awesome.
Then somewhere along the lines, your birthday became less about fun and more about trying not to cry all over your birthday cake. You feel older (and not necessarily wiser), and can’t help looking back at the things you just can’t do anymore like lazer tag. It sounds depressing because, well, it is.
But it doesn’t have to be. You just need some cheering up.
If you’re sitting there struggling to think of something clever, or you’re looking for some birthday wishes to cheer you up, we’ve got you covered. Whether you’re sending an e-mail, text, signing a birthday card, or leaving a voicemail, this collection is filled with as many ways to say happy birthday as possible.
So without further ado, here are the 30 birthday wishes to help put the ‘awesome’ back into that special day for you or someone you love.
Birthday Quotes – 30 Wise and Funny Wishes For A Happy Birthday
1) “I eat cake because it’s somebody’s birthday somewhere.” – Unknown
What we think: Sometimes you have to go ahead and spoil yourself. Even if that means creating an occasion. So go ahead and endulge.
2) ”The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate” – Oprah Winfrey
What we think: The more you realize how special your life is, the more you can appreciate it and give it meaning.
3) “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” – Satchel Paige
What we think: You’re only as old as you feel.
4) “To me – old age is always ten years older than I am.” – Bernard Baruch
What we think: Age is nothing but a number.
5) “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.” – Robert Frost
What we think: Men of the world, don’t let this rule escape you.
6) “We are always the same age inside” – Gertrude Stein
What we think: We can be as young as we want to be for as long as we want.
7) “Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
What we think: Use every birthday as an opportunity to learn and grow.
8) “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wings of time” – Jean Paul Richter
What we think: Our many birthdays help to create the greater picture that is our lives.
9) “He not busy being born is busy dying.” – Bob Dylan
What we think: Start getting busy.
On Being Funny and Adding:
10) “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” – Lucille Ball
What we think: We can agree with the first two.
On Forgetting A Birthday:
11) “The best way to remember your wife’s birthday is to forget it once.” – E. Joseph Cossman
What we think: Truer words have never been spoken. Don’t let your significant other down.
12) “My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it” – Boris Johnson
What we think: Yay for cake!
13) “When someone asks if you’d like cake or pie, why not say you want cake and pie?” – Lisa Loeb
What we think: Who says you can’t have it all?
14) “You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, ‘See if you can blow this out’.” – Jerry Seinfeld
What we think: That many candles can become a fire hazard.
15) “Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake.” – Edward Morykwas
What we think: We can’t argue with nature.
On new beginnings:
16) “Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new.” – Sammy Hagar
What we think: What better time than a birthday to do or start something you’ve always wanted to. Treat your birthday as your own personal New Year’s.
17) “We have to be able to grow up. Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be.” – Lauren Hutton.
What we think: We like to embrace our wrinkles. They give us more character.
18) “Gray hair is God’s graffiti.” – Bill Cosby
What we think: Embrace the beauty of aging gracefully.
On staying young:
19) “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” – Lucille Ball
What we think: As much as we embrace our wrinkles, we will probably not tell you our age either.
20) “Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.” – Franz Kafka
What we think: Keep that youthful feeling alive and keep your eyes open to the beauty that surrounds you in this world.
On gifts and giving:
21) “A friend never defends a husband who gets his wife and electric skillet for her birthday.” – Erma Bombeck
What we think: Think very carefully of what kind of message you want to send with any gift, birthday or otherwise.
22) “To give somebody your time is the biggest gift you can give.” – Franka Potente
What we think: Unless the gift is a car. Or a house. Or a boat. But in all seriousness your time is more precious to those who care about you.
23) “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – Les Brown
What we think: Every year is another opportunity to learn a new skill, start a new hobby and grow. Don’t waste it.
On avoiding birthdays:
24) “There is still no cure for the common birthday.” – John Glenn
What we think: No one’s found the fountain of youth yet? Our science-y friends need to put their minds together on this one.
On remembering birthdays:
25) “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.” – Mark Twain
What we think: This one is a beauty. Embrace the beauty of aging. Life is all about perspective.
26) “The best way to remember your wife’s birthday is to forget it once.” – E. Joseph Cossman
What we think: Or write it down. We suggest writing it down.
27) “It is lovely, when I forgot all birthdays, including my own, to find that somebody remembers me.” – Ellen Glasgow
What we think: This is very sweet. We never hold it against anyone who forgets a birthday (because our memories aren’t the greatest either), but it is always nice when someone remembers.
28) “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
What we think: Make everyday count.
On Youth and Aging:
29) “The secret to eternal youth is arrested development.” – Alice Roosevelt Longworth
What we think: You are as young as feel. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise
30) “The way I see it, you should live everyday like it’s your birthday.” – Paris Hilton
What we think: Not sure if I’d want to grow a year older every day, but the days would be happy and celebratory.
Do you have any other birthday quotes, wishes or greetings that you want to share with us?
Let us know in the comments!
You May Also Like: